Apart from the clergy, Parish Administrator and Director of Music, St Wulfram’s, like any large church, relies on the work of an army of people who are volunteers.
At present most of these volunteers are drawn from the congregation but some are members of other churches, or none, who identify in some way with St Wulfram’s as an important part of Grantham life and wish to help maintain the building, present it to visitors or simply enjoy the company of fellow volunteers.
We sometimes find it difficult to do all the things we would like, using just those who worship here regularly, so we are especially grateful for the help we receive from others and we would like to encourage more people to join in.
Examples of areas where further help would be appreciated are:
· Stewarding in church: in the summer months St Wulfram’s welcomes several thousand visitors each year; stewards are on hand to greet the visitors and offer information on the history and features of the church. Nobody is expected to have all the answers to questions that may arise but there is a wealth of printed information on hand and training is available for new stewards.
· The Coffee Shop: this is open Wednesday to Saturday in summer and Saturday mornings throughout the year serving tea, coffee and homemade cakes to the general public.
· The Trigge Chained Library: this part of the church, approached by a narrow staircase, is open to visitors at certain times when a steward is present to explain the history of the library and show some of the books. Again, training would be given to anyone considering this rather special work.
· The Passage: each Thursday St Wulfram’s offers a soup lunch to homeless people and others in need. A team of about four is needed to serve the meal and engage with those who come.
· Church Cleaning: it is an enormous task to keep such a large building clean and tidy. Individuals, or small teams, ‘adopt’ a particular area to clean at times convenient to them when the church is open.
· Special Events: extra stewards are needed when the church hosts, for example, concerts, Open Days or Gravity Fields Festival events.
If you would be interested in finding more about what is involved or would like to visit the church with a view to volunteering, please contact:
David Brown or The Parish Office
01476 562334 01476 561342